4 Apr 2013

Wines to watch Game of Thrones: Gewurztraminer (and why)


Virtually every character in Game of Thrones, the series inspired in George R. R. Martin novels, enjoys a glass of wine (or two, or maybe three). So, being a fan of the series, and also of the aforementioned beverage, I am planning to combine both pleasures and fill my glass while the Starks, Lannisters and everyone else fill my screen.
Being that my one of my favorite characters is Daenerys Targaryen, I'll remember the episode in which a wineseller offers her a special cask of wine from the Arbor region. That happened to be poisoned, but anyway, it was just the most memorable Daenerys wine-related moment I can think of.
Inspired in the khaleesi, my choice is gewurztraminer. Tipical from Alsace in France, this white wine is stronger than it seems (Gewûrz means "spicy" in german)...


Its color is light golden and the main aroma you get from it is lychee, mixed with roses and white flowers, with maybe some passionfruit and peach. 
The soft perfumes come with a surprisingly strong body, and the taste delivers what it was first sensed in the nose, and more: a spicinnes that makes justice to the first half of its name.


Even if just by itself it's an amazing wine, I would normally pair it with sushi; however, I just can't watch Game of Thrones while delicately holding little rolls with chopsticks so, a more regional pairing will do: fondue with mushrooms.


By the way, I found a few quotes about wine extracted from the books...

“ The world is full of wine” – Tyrion Lannister

“ I mean to sail to Westeros and drink the wine of vengeance from the skull of the Usurper” - Daenerys Targaryen

“You see the wonders than can be worked with lies and Arbor gold?” - Lord Petyr Baelish, to Sansa Stark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheers for your comment