14 Jun 2014

A Wes Anderson inspired dessert, and why I don't like the word "Cheap"

I really like Wes Anderson movies. I know that many people criticize the fact that he gives more importance to appearance than to content, but I disagree, because all that effort he puts into making characters look in a very carefully designed way is not covering their personalities, it is enhancing them.


Why am I saying this in an affordable recipes blog? Well, because sometimes I feel that way about the ingredients. You don't need expensive special effects, but you do have to be creative to make simple and every-day stuff look particularly appealing
If you haven't seen The Grand Budapest Hotel, no worries, I won't give spoilers. But there is a pastry in the film called "Courtesan au Chocolate" which is very pretty and, I will assume, delicious. When I realized that part of the promo material for the film included a video with the recipe (which you'll see below), I decided to try to make it at home. It wasn't a great success but it was good fun.



Allow me to laugh at myself while I share the result of the Wes Anderson bake off:

So, lots of simple ingredients became something beautiful (in the left picture, at least) and that effort and skill has value. Even if you are not like the talents at Mendl's (the pastry shop of the film), the time and love you put into cooking has value.


And that is why I don't like to use the word "cheap" when talking about "inexpensive" food. The Oxford dictionary definition of the word is: "Low in price, especially in relation to similar items or services", which is fine, but the second definition (the one I like the least) says: "Of little worth because achieved in a discreditable way requiring little effort". Ouch.  Flour is flour and it costs what it costs. Chickpeas, oatmeal, sardines, carrots, potatoes... they don't cost a lot and are nutritious. What matters is what you make out of them. I've seen people turn premium ingredients into inedible statements that look amazing but I wouldn't even give to my dog.


Once I read in a book that you don't have to buy the most expensive, but "the best one you can afford" (I'm sure it was talking about clothes but it applies). So, if you find ingredients that are affordable (a word I prefer) and you manage to make something very nice with them, it just doesn't feel right to call it "cheap food".

So, back to Wes Anderson. The way he pays attention to detail in his movies serves as a good advice for cooking: 
  • Use the best ingredients you can afford.
  • Stick to your favorite ones and have them around, but try something new every now and then.
  • Present the meals in a way that shows you care about them. 
  • Develop a personal style so your meals are "very you".
  • Pay attention to the color palette.
  • Make lists: Shopping lists, menus, dishes you'd like to cook.
  • Go vintage (thrifty, artisan and second hand articles tend to affordable and original).
  • Organize picnics.
  • Have fun cooking.
  • Have fun eating as well!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, maybe next time yours will turn perfect, as they say: Practice makes the master

    ReplyDelete

Cheers for your comment