16 Jun 2014

Herring and ogórki appetizer with Polish inspiration

I don't know as many aspects of Polish culture as I'd like. But when it comes to food, it's one of my main influences; my beloved grandfather was born in this country and he, of course, introduced us to some foods. So, when I realized that here in Dublin there are many Polish supermarkets, I decided to try a few things.


I'm no expert yet, however, I want to share a recipe that may look a bit weird, but has so much flavor that just thinking about it makes my mouth water.
By the way, "ogórki" is a Polish name for pickled cucumbers seasoned with mustard seeds. 

Ingredients (3-4 portions)
4 slices of veda bread 
4 ogórki
3 pieces of herring
4 tablespoons of crème fraîche (you can use cottage cheese, soft cheese or if you like strong tastes, tartar sauce)


Directions
Toast the bread and cut each slice in 3 rectangles. Slice the ogórki and cut the herring in thin stripes.

Spread the crème fraîche on the toasted bread and carefully put ogórki slices on top.

Add the herring stripes on top of the ogórki.

That's it. Prepare yourself for an explosion of flavor.

If you want to present it as a canape, instead of 3 rectangles, cut the bread in smaller squares or triangles and serve in a tray. It's a great finger food you can make in no time, and surely will surprise people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheers for your comment