22 Jun 2014

Italian inspired tomato snack

I already posted recipes with Polish and Venezuelan inspiration, and even thought I have published an easy Bolognese sauce, I still feel I wanted to dedicate a post to my other great influence and side of the family: Italian

This one is extremely easy and, if you are in a rush, you don't even have to cook it (although I prefer to).

Ingredients (for a dozen)
12 crackers (slices of toasted bread will make a great substitute)
3 small tomatoes
1/2 bell pepper
5 olives (I like green olives but black olives are OK)
4 garlic cloves
Olive oil to taste
Parmesan or Italian style hard cheese to taste (the second cost way less but the real deal is worth the difference)


Directions
Preheat the oven to medium-high temperature.
Pour a bit of olive oil on top of the crackers.

Finely chop the garlic cloves, add on top of the crackers and then add pieces of sliced tomato.

Add a few stripes of bell pepper.

Finely chop the olives (remove the seed) and add on top of everything.



Grate cheese on top and add more olive oil.

Heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese melts, the crackers toast and the tomatoes dry a bit.



Tips: 
  • As I said before, you can use bread instead. 
  • If you don't have fresh tomatoes, you can use tomato sauce. 
  • This same combination makes a very nice sandwich, especially if you add a slice of white cheese.

1 comment:

Cheers for your comment